If you're a user of Instagram you'll have seen the rise of stories and following the day-to-day lives of the people you follow. A new feature of stories is the ability to highlight them and keep them on your profile, which is a fantastic way to showcase what your brand, business, blog etc. is all about.
I've recently seen quite a few people style their highlights with icons and text making their profile look styled and professional. Now when I looked at my profile, the highlights showed the first few seconds of video with my mouth agape, so whilst it looked funny it definitely wasn't something I wanted to showcase about myself. Creating highlight covers is easy and I'm going to show you how to do it in a few simple steps.
- Jump onto Canva (a fantastic and FREE online design site) by clicking the link here, setting up an account is easy and can be done with a Facebook or Email login. You can also opt to download the App but for creating these highlight covers I preferred the desktop version.
- Canva comes with many premade designs and dimensions perfect for social media and marketing, just be warned before creating in a particular size if you want to change it down the track you'll need to upgrade or have the skills/programs to edit the file from a PDF. I selected my own dimensions that work with my Iphone of 1080 px X 1920 px, but you can customise it to your own phone size.
- Now onto the fun part, the designing! I choose to go with cute icons as my cover photos, you can opt for words instead as they both work well. Canva has a whole library of ready to use icons, some are free and a few are paid. Just look for the prices besides the icons to make sure you're using the right ones for yourself. I used stock icons from my graphics library but there are plenty on Canva to put to good use.
- You can size the icons or text to any size but here's an example of what I went with below that suited my Instagram look.
- Once you've made as many highlight covers as you want, all you need to do is save or send them to yourself. To highlight to your Instagram profile, you'll need to post the design as a story first. Once it's posted you will see highlight appear on it, click on that and either create a new highlight or add it to an exisitng one*.
*When I added my covers to existing highlights I had to unselect the previous stories to get the cover design at the front. Then I selected the archived stories and that added them back in (slightly annoying but it's a work around).
Have any questions or suggestions let me know below.